Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Choose Wisely (D)


(The following passage is excerpted from a recent book about the United States Declaration of Independence.)
(The following  passage is from an essay published in the 1920s.)
 Questions 14-28. Read the following passage carefully before you choose your answers.
  I'm well versed in the world of multiple choice. I've had to do it since I was first in school. It's nothing like rhetorical analysis (A) which I had to learn from scratch. It was still very different from what I'd been used to though.
     I'd always been asked "What does so-and-so word mean in line blah blah?" This year got to the meat of a writing piece rather than just the minute details. It was harder but still manageable. But I really didn't like learning multiple choice
     When we got to the multiple choice section I was ready for it. Bring it on! A foolish mistake on my part that shan't happen again. I didn't realize just how many Scantrons I'd see during that unit. It was everyday. Read one or two passages and answer 15 questions for each of them. Try to get at least half right. Oh, also you have 15 minutes. 
     Not only all of that, but most of them were also those old timey passages with big, fancy words that look like Shakespeare threw up on the page. I don't like those. I've gotten better at reading them since that's what most of the rhetorical analysis (A) unit was. Still don't like them though. 
     I didn't like these days of multiple choice but I got quicker. I put in my ear plugs and got on with it. I was finishing a few minutes early by the end of it. I learned, through trial and error, that skimming the passage and then going back to it to answer certain questions was the right way to do it for me (D). I had tried following along with my finger, reading thoroughly first, reading out loud, and even not reading the passage at all. Ultimately, this has worked best for me. A lot of people I talk to just don't read it first though which is so crazy to me because I could never do that. My brain needs the first read to get me started. 
     I never realized that I needed to practice for multiple choice before I got to this class. I thought it was just something you had to do. I figured that they were all different passages with different answers so it wouldn't help me to practice since they're all completely different. Think again, dumdum. Practice makes perfect in most aspects of life I suppose. Who woulda thunk?
The Enemy







No comments:

Post a Comment